- Measurement callipers
Take measurements form the following sites:
With the arm resting comfortably at the side, take a vertical fold parallel to the long axis of the arm midway between the shoulder and the tip of the elbow.
Take a diagonal fold across the back, just below the shoulder blade.
With the arm resting comfortably at the side, take a vertical fold halfway between the elbow and top of the shoulder on the front of the upper arm.
Take a diagonal fold following the natural line of the iliac crest, just above the hip bone.
How to conduct the test
The method is as follows:
- Ensure that all of the skinfold measurements are located on the right side of the body and that the measurements are taken in millimetres
- Pick up the skinfold between the thumb and the index finger so as to include two thicknesses of skin and subcutaneous fat
- Apply the callipers about one centimetre from the fingers and at a depth about equal to the thickness of the fold
- Repeat the procedure three times as the measurement may vary and record the average value
- Add the results of each measurement to get a total value in millimetres.