Assessing Elastic Leg Strength with Leg Strength Test
- 400m track – 25m marked section on the straight
- Stop watch
- Mark out a 25m section on the straight section of the track with 2 cones.
- The athlete starts 10 to 15m behind the starting line.
- Using a jog run up, the athlete starts hopping on the dominant leg from the first cone.
- The time taken to hop between the 2 cones is recorded.
- The test is then repeated with the other leg.
Table reference: D.A. Chu, Explosive Power and Strength, Human Kinetics; 1996
This test is suitable for active individuals but not for those where the test would be contraindicated.
Reliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual’s level of motivation to perform the test.
There are published tables to relate results to potential level of fitness and the correlation is high.