Metronome Bench Press Test is Test to Monitor The Upper Body Strength Athlete’s
To undertake this test you will require:
- Bar bell and weights
How to conduct the test
The test is conducted as follows:
- Set up the bar barbell with 80lbs for men and 35 pounds for women
- Set the metronome to 60 beats per minute
- Lie on a flat bench
- Bench press the weight in time to the metronome
- Spotter counts the repetitions ensuring the elbows are fully extended (not locked) and the bar bell comes down to the chest
- The test concludes when the athlete is unable to maintain form in time with the metronome.
Analysis of the result is by comparing it with the results of previous tests. It is expected that, with appropriate training between each test, the analysis would indicate an improvement.
An excellent score for men is 37 repetitions and an excellent score for women is 35 repetitions.
This test is suitable for active athletes but not for individuals where the test would be contraindicated.
Reliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual’s level of motivation to perform the test.
There are no published tables to relate results to potential performance in competition.
Mackenzie, Brian. 2005. 101 Performance Evalution Test. Electric World Plc. London.
(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)