Margaria-Kalamen Power Test. The objective of this test is to monitor the development of the athlete’s power.
- Stop watch
- Flight of 12 steps with a starting line of 6m in front of the first step -each step is about 17.5cm high with the 3rd, 6th and 9th step brightly coloured.
- The athlete’s weight is determined (kg) and recorded
- The athlete undertakes 2 or 3 practice runs up the steps to warm up
- The athlete stands ready at the starting line
- On the command “Go”, the athlete sprints to the steps and up the flight of steps taking three steps at a time (3rd, 6th and 9th stairs).
- Assistant records the time to get from the 3rd step to the 9th step – the stopwatch is to be started with foot contact on the 3rd step and stopped with foot contact on the 9th step
- Athlete repeats the test 2 more times – allow a 2-3 minute recovery between each test.
Power (Watts) is calculated from the formula: P = (M x D) * 9.8/t where
- P = Power (Watts)
- M = Body mass (kg)
- D = Vertical distance (m)
- t = Time (s).
The vertical distance between the 3rd and 9th step must be accurately measured and used when calculating the power.