One Mile Jog Test Instrument of VO2max Capacity
Using statistical techniques, Brigham Young University (USA) scientists used the heart rates, body weights, and one mile jog times from 54 students to create a fairly simple mathematical equation for VO2max. They then checked the predictive power of the equation by using it to forecast the VO2max of another 52 runners involved in the study When these predicted VO2max were compared with the runners’ VO2max determined in the exercise physiology laboratory, the equation was determined to be remarkably accurate.
Required Resources One Mile Jog Test
- 400 metre track
- Stop watch
- Heart rate monitor.
How to conduct the One Mile Jog Test
- Warm up by jogging for a couple of minutes
- Jog one mile at an easy, steady pace, making sure that you take longer (yes longer) than eight minutes (males), or more than nine minutes (females)
- Record how long it actually takes you to jog one mile
- Record your heart rate immediately on completing the mile.
- Male Athletes VO2max = 108.844 – 0.1636W – 1.438T – 0.1928H
- Female Athletes VO2max = 100.5 – 0.1636W – 1.438T – 0.1928H
Mackenzie, Brian. 2005. 101 Perforamnce Evalution Test. Electric World Plc. London.