- Warm dry location – gym
- Stop watch
- Stand comfortable on both feet
- Hands on your hip
- Stand on your preferred leg with the foot flat on the ground, lift the other leg and place the toes of that foot against the knee of the preferred leg.
- On command from the assistant, close your eyes
- Assistant starts the stop watch
- Balance for as long as possible
- The watch is stopped when you open your eyes or move your hands or take your foot off your knee or move your standing foot
- Assistant records the time you were able to maintain the balance
- Repeat the test three times.
Analysis of the result is by comparing it with the results of previous tests. It Is expected that, with appropriate training between each test, the analysis would indicate an improvement.
This test is suitable for active individuals but not for those where the test would be contraindicated.
Reliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual’s level of motivation to perform the test.
There are published tables to relate results to potential level of fitness and the correlation is high.