- Exertech EX-10 cycle ergometer with interfaced work monitor unit.
- Stop watch.
How to conduct the Tri-Level Anaerobic Lactic Power Test?
The test is conducted as follows:
- Adjust cycle ergometer seat and ensure that equipment is operating satisfactorily.
- Athlete to complete a 5 minute warm up on the bike at a steady pace.
- Athlete to rest for 2 minutes.
- Athlete to take up the starting position on the bike – standing stationary on the pedals, with the front pedal a little higher than the back pedal.
- Assistant to reset the work monitor unit to zero and set the readings to the “high” range.
- On the command “Go”, the athlete is to exert near maximum efforts for the 30 seconds duration.
- Assistant to inform the athlete of the elapsed time intervals of 10 seconds and 20 seconds and count down the final 5 seconds.
- At exactly 30 seconds, the hold switch is pressed and the accrued kilojoules (KJ) score, together with the frozen watts reading on the circular scale meter are recorded.
- The athlete should cool down with 2 to 3 minutes easy pedalling.
Analysis of the result is by comparing it with the results of previous tests. It is expected that, with appropriate training between each test, the analysis would indicate an improvement.
This test is suitable for active athletes but not for individuals where the test would be contraindicated.