Universal Bench Press Test is to Monitor The Strength of The Athletes
- Universal bench press station.
How to conduct the test
- The athlete assumes the hook lying position on the bench with knees flexed, and feet on the bench
- The initial resistance will depend upon the estimated strength of the subject, but as a guide, select 50% of body mass for males and 33% for females
- If the athlete can successfully complete one repetition, repeat the procedure after one minute, adding an additional weight to the previous resistance
- Continue with this procedure, allowing one minute recovery between attempts until the 1RM has been determined
- Record the final resistance.
This test is suitable for active athletes but not for individuals where the test would be contraindicated.
Reliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual’s level of motivation to perform the test.
No published tables to relate results to potential performance in competition.